In its second tournament in two weeks, the CSU men’s ultimate Frisbee team ended up with a repeat performance. Despite playing well and making it all the way to the finals of the University of Kansas tournament, team Hibida fell once again to the University of New Mexico as it did in the Rocky Mountain Invitational only two weeks ago.

Hibida won six of its seven games on the weekend, despite having only half of its players to compete.

“We weren’t even supposed to be there,” said team President Josh Tabije. “The people underestimated us all weekend and that just added fuel to the fire for us. We made it farther than anyone expected.”

Team Hibida will continue its run of tournaments this weekend in the UPA Sectional Tournament in Fort Collins.

Baseball

It was a busy weekend for the CSU club baseball team. The Rams played a double-header on Saturday against the Air Force junior varsity team and another double-header versus the University of Wyoming on Sunday in Laramie.

The team came up short in the first two games at Air Force, losing 10-5 and 15-11. Pitcher Andrew Abell started the first game for the Rams but could not get defensive support as the team committed seven errors. Trevor Brewster went 2-2 with two stolen bases and Tyson Liverant batted 3-4 with two doubles in the first game.

“The field was in bad shape, and we just got bumped,” said team Captain Paul Olmsted. “We were trying to save our stronger pitchers for the Wyoming games on Sunday.”

The strategy worked for the Rams as they won both games in Laramie the next day. Brewster pitched a six-hit shutout in the first game and struck out four batters. Tyson Liverant batted 2-4 with two RBIs and Colin Scheidenhelm went 2-3 with two RBIs.

In the second game against the Cowboys, Brian Blair recorded the win on the mound for the Rams as the team rolled to a 13-5 victory. Olmsted went 3-4 with a homerun and two RBIs and Ed Priem also had a homer for the Rams.

“The team is really coming together, and we’re winning the games that matter,” Olmsted said. “We’re looking real well in terms of the national tournament, and we hope to get a No. 1 seed.”

The two wins in Laramie improve the Rams’ record to 9-0 in conference. Next up for the team is another double-header against Northeastern State on Thursday at noon on the CSU field.

Lacrosse

Hoping to get back on track after disappointing losses the last two weekends, the CSU men’s lacrosse team traveled to Ann Arbor, Mich., over the weekend to face three ranked opponents.

The first game pitted the Rams against the host Wolverines, who handed CSU a 13-9 loss.

“We weren’t playing good at first, and we got a wake-up call,” said team President Alex Smith. “We overestimated ourselves.”

The Rams got back on track in the next two games and defeated the University of Buffalo, 20-9, and Texas A&M, 14-4.

Napolilli scored two goals and had four assists in the Buffalo game, while Stanitz-Harper netted six goals and Davis had two goals and two assists.

“Once we played well, we rolled the rest of the weekend,” Smith added. “We’ve got a big weekend ahead of us, though.”

Indeed, the Rams take on the University of Utah Friday night on the intramural fields at 7 p.m. and will battle rival University of Colorado the next day at 1:30 p.m. in Fort Collins. n