CSU tennis in Wyoming

This weekend will be very important for the CSU women’s tennis team as the Rams face three conference opponents.

The matches, all in Laramie, start Friday with the Rams playing Brigham Young. They play Utah Saturday and finish up against Wyoming Sunday.

With good results this weekend, the Rams would be in a favorable position to take a high seed in the upcoming Mountain West Conference Tournament.

“This is the beginning of the exciting part of the season,” said head coach Jon Messick.

The Rams stand a good chance against all three teams, according to Messick. The matches against BYU and Utah are especially important. The Rams have had fall season wins against these teams in singles from junior No. 1 Sanja Hansson and freshman No. 5 Dasha Zhurin.

“To beat Utah this weekend would really make our season,” Messick said.

The Rams are coming off losses to No. 16 UNLV and No. 22 San Diego State last weekend. The losses were not terribly disappointing to the team considering the strength of their opponents. The Rams had some very close matches, losing a match point in a doubles match and a tiebreaker loss in singles by senior No. 4 Bobbe Vasos. The only Rams win of the weekend went to Zhurin in the SDSU match.

“The team played much better against San Diego State on the second day,” Messick said. “We always seem to play better on the second day.”

With UNLV and San Diego State sitting atop the conference, Messick said the race for seeds three through eight was still fairly wide open. With wins against BYU and Utah, the Rams could earn a third or fourth seed.

The Rams are not overlooking the 5-10 Cowboys, who have had a difficult season. But Messick said their schedule has been considerably easier this season then that of the Rams. Also, the outcomes from the first two matches will dictate how the Rams go into their match against Wyoming. n