Aiming to make up some ground on the final day, the CSU women’s golf team fell further behind instead.

The Rams began the third and final round of the Oregon Duck Invitational Thursday in seventh place, then slipped to eighth Friday. CSU finished with a team total of 919, 37 shots behind the University of Washington and just one shot from tying Washington State University and BYU for the sixth spot.

CSU golfers Mayumi Motoyama and Stephanie Linnell each shot 12-over-par three-round totals of 228 to help CSU’s women’s golf team to an eighth-place finish at the Mallard Creek Golf Course.

Washington State’s Kim Welch won the individual title, shooting an even-par 216 over the 5,975-yard, par-72 course.

Besides Motoyama and Linnell, CSU’s Bridget Johnson tied for 25th, shooting 13-over 229. Lynette Duran tied for 43rd, 19 over, 235, and Kristen Campos tied for 68th, 30-over, 246.

Motoyama entered the final round at five over, then shot a 79, seven over par, Friday. Linnell was seven over through two rounds and carded a one-under-par 71 in the second round. She shot a 77 Friday.

Johnson had the best round of the day Friday for the Rams, shooting a one-over 73.

Women’s Tennis

The CSU women’s tennis team started Mountain West Conference play in San Diego, facing the 15th ranked team in the country, UNLV, on Friday.

It lost 7-0 and then dropped a 6-1 match to San Diego State on Saturday afternoon. With the losses, the Rams move to 5-10 on the season.

CSU freshman Dasha Zhurin had the lone point for the Rams over the weekend, getting it at the No. 5 singles position when Katey Clark-Becker from San Diego State retired with Zhurin ahead 3-0 in the first set.

CSU will next face the University of Denver on Wednesday and then will return to conference action with conference matches against Brigham Young University, Utah and Wyoming on Friday, Saturday and Sunday respectively, in Laramie, Wyoming. The lone home match for the Rams this season will be against the University of Colorado on April 20. n