In a dominating performance on Saturday, the CSU baseball team defeated the University of Northern Colorado twice in a doubleheader. With great performances on the mound from their pitchers, the Rams poured on the offense, scoring 33 runs in the two games.

The first game of the series was reasonably close until the fifth inning, when the Rams exploded for 20 runs. The game was called at the end of the inning with the Rams on top 23-1.

“We swung the bats well and played good defense,” Damon Myers said. “Once we get people on base our confidence goes up.”

Ben Augustine started on the mound for the Rams and allowed only four hits and struck out four in four innings. Scott Musgrave batted 3-for-4 while Paul Olmsted and Drew Trainor went 2-for-3 in the rout.

The second game of the series was similar to the first as the Rams were able to score runs off UNC mistakes and come up with big hits.

Jade Bond started the game and Dallas Strankman and Aaron Hinson followed in relief. The three pitchers allowed only one run. Meanwhile, the UNC pitchers walked in runs and Brandon Nash had a two-run homer for the Rams. This game was played out and CSU recorded a 10-1 victory.

“UNC is usually our toughest competition so we’re all pretty confident that we’ll get to Pueblo (playoffs) this season,” Myers said.

Cycling- CSU Oval Race

On Easter Sunday, the CSU cycling club took over the Oval on campus to put on the annual CSU Oval Race. With beautiful weather and ideal conditions, racers from around the region came to participate in competition.

“It’s been really cool, we’ve had a great turnout,” Cycling Club President Kate

Van Valkenburg said. “It’s a well-known race and a really fun course.”

In the collegiate races, there were men’s A, B and C races, and A and B for the women. CSU racers placed high in several of the categories.

In the men’s A race, Peter Beland took first place while CSU racers Nat Campbell finished second, Steve Owens fifth and Brian Hoff sixth place. Another CSU racer Nathaniel Ksiazkiewicz finished first in the men’s B race followed by two University of Colorado-Boulder racers, Ryan Lynch and Jordan Logan.

On the women’s side, Sara Tarkington of CU took first place in the A race with CSU’s All-American Leah Trapp in second. Van Valkenburg finished sixth in the race for the Rams club team. In the B race, Lvat Vuong of CU finished first with the closest CSU racer, Diane Arthur, in fifth place.

“It’s a great race for the spectators too,” Van Valkenburg said. “The cornering is the best part. We’ve got seven 90-degree corners in the race so that makes it interesting. It’s nice to see so many people here. I think there’s more people here than just those who are watching someone they know.”

Lacrosse

Coming off last week’s disappointing loss to Brigham Young, the CSU lacrosse team realized it would have a tough time rebounding against Division III Colorado College. The challenge proved to be just that as the Rams fell for the second weekend in a row 15-11.

With starting goalie and team captain Alex Smith on the bench with an injured hand, backup Kevin Krcek started his first game of the season in between the pipes for the Rams and stopped 17 shots. The CSU attackmen came up big once again with Mike Napolilli and Ryan Davis each scoring a hat trick and one assist each.

“That’s the best team we’ll see all year,” Smith said. “I think it’s a team we could have beat, but we made stupid mistakes and they were just too much.”

The Rams had hoped to gain momentum going into this weekend’s Michigan Invitational in Ann Arbor where they will face the University of Buffalo, Texas A&M and the University of Michigan. n