Authors: Chris Watson

The CSU men’s golf team placed 15 out of a 16-team field this last week in the Oregon Duck Invitational, a three-round tournament where the men shot a 910 (46 over-par).

The hosting University of Oregon team, which won the tournament with a score of 849 (15 under-par), used the home-course advantage to beat out nationally ranked opponent Washington State University by one stroke.

CSU freshman David Shutlz had an impressive showing for the Rams with a three-day total of 223 (seven over-par), tying for 47th in individual standings, while teammates junior Tommy Sharp and sophomore Martin Laird scored 228 and 230, respectively.

Bermel was unavailable for comment.

Women

The Rams will try to repair the damage done to the CSU women’s golf program at the 2002 Nike/Duck Invitational in Eugene, Ore.

Junior Mayumi Motoyama, senior Bridget Johnson and the team are squaring off to improve upon their performances in the Mountainview Collegiate Tournament last weekend.

After facing allegations of tampering with the University of Colorado golf team’s vehicle and banner last weekend, the women will have to settle down and concentrate on Oregon.

With continued success from Motoyama and the rest of the team playing well, the women pose a significant threat at the Invitational. n

Remaining Schedule

Men

April 5th

Border OlympicsA/ A/ Laredo, TX

A/A/

April 19th

BYU

Provo, UTA/

Women

March 28th

2002 Nike/Duck Invitational

Eugene, OR

A/A/

April 8th

BYU Dixie ClassicA/St. George, UTA/

A/

April 22nd

MWC ChampionshipsA/ A/

Sun River, OR

A/A/

May 9thA/

NCAA RegionalsA/ A/ TBA

A/A/

May 21stA/

NCAA ChampionshipsA/ A/ Auburn, WAA/