Oregon awaits CSU golf team

Authors: Chris Watson

With the CSU men’s golf team heading to Junction City, Ore. March 25 to play in the 25th Oregon Duck Invitational, Coach Jamie Bermel is looking to senior Dallas Massey to play solidly and set the team up to finish strong.

Finishing tied for sixth in their last tournament, the Burkdale Collegiate in N.C., the men are hoping to finish in the top five in Oregon.

With junior Tommy Sharp and sophomore Martin Laird shooting 144 to tie for 16th, the pressure will be on them to finish even better. Freshman David Shultz played strong scoring 148 to place 41st.

CSU will face quite a challenge playing at the 6,750 yard, par 72 Shadow Hills Country Club and having to face three top 25 teams. No. 16 San Diego State University, last year’s champion, No. 18 Washington State and No. 22 Nevada should present a serious challenge for CSU.

CSU will be wary of fellow Mountain West Conference member San Diego State, which has been undefeated since the beginning of 2002 and who pose a serious threat to wipe out the competition.

With SDSU’s Mark Warman and Lars Johansson both tying for second place individually, and two more players finishing in the top five at their last tournament, it will be difficult for the Rams to keep pace with the Aztecs in Oregon. n