311 tears the roof off Moby

They said it would be intense. They said it would be energetic. They said it would be a show to remember – they weren’t just whistling Dixie.

311 and Hoobastank came, saw and conquered Moby Arena March 7, putting on a high-octane performance that had everyone in attendance jumping and dancing for three hours.

Thousands of students and people from the region bounced, bashed and grooved as 311 kept the intensity up with its popular cross genre funk/rap sound.

Being the opening act, Hoobastank played its role perfectly by warming up the crowd with its melodic rhythms and intense rock.

After three cuts, Hoobastank revved up the audience as it launched into the hit, “Crawling in the Dark,” from the band’s self-titled album.

Those in attendance agreed Hoobastank livened the audience and prepared it for what was to come.

“I liked the quality of their performance,” said CSU freshman and business major Nick Donaldson. “They’re a good band, and they’ll go far.”

The band managed to keep the student-based audience energized by mixing its hard-core funk tunes with its more settled, melodic grooves.

However, it was vocalist Nick Hexum who really got the show rolling when he dedicated a song to “all those old-school 311 fans out there.”

The band then sprang into its popular single, “Down,” from its 1993 self-titled album.

The entertained crowd continued to dance the night away, while 311 kept its play list diversified, playing both old and new favorites.

Many agreed the show was better than anticipated.

“The show was unreal,” said CSU sophomore and business management major Braden Forsythe. “I was at the show in Denver (March 6) and think this one was just as good, if not better.”

Though drained at the conclusion of 311’s performance, the audience still managed enough energy to belt out an encore request. The band was willing to comply as they trotted back on stage for a three-song encore.

Because no serious injuries or accidents occurred during or after the show, Erin Walker, director of marketing at Association of Student Activity Programming (ASAP), said it was a big success.

“We knew this would be really good for the University,” Walker said. “We knew that if all went well, we could be remembered as the university that pulled an event of this magnitude off.”

As far as future arena concerts, Walker said the success of 311 was a step in the right direction.

“Hopefully this opens the doors for us to do a big concert like this every semester,” Walker said. n