Public is no place for porn

The Morgan Library attracts a diverse group of people. Take a quick scan across the rows of public computers: people are using the Internet to do class research, e-mail friends and family, check breaking news or the latest sports scores, and looking at pornography.

The usage of CSU’s computers to view porn has been an issue for years. Many students and community members are uncomfortable – and rightfully so – when the person using the computer next to them is inspecting a porn site. And while using CSU computers to look at porn is definitely an act of bad taste and disrespect, it is legal.

CSU can’t prevent people from looking at pornography because CSU is a state institution and therefore a public place. Porn is legal, for adults, so limiting the access of porn in the library and computer labs across campus could be considered censorship under the U.S. Constitution. However, private employers and companies can legally control the access their employees and patrons have to the Internet.

Pornography is something many people in our society are not comfortable with. While we are in no position to judge those members of the CSU community who do enjoy porn, we feel that out of respect to their peers, they should refrain from using public computers to view X-rated material.

Although the ability to look up porn on the Internet at public computer terminals at CSU is protected by the Constitution, it does not make it right.

When funding was passed for the computers on campus, it was with the purpose of providing the CSU community with ample resources and access to information; the right to become aroused in public probably was not a goal officials and Colorado taxpayers felt was essential to the higher education experience.