Authors: Lee Miller

Two consecutive matches made spring break very successful and satisfying for the CSU women’s tennis team. They were the first consecutive wins this season.

The Rams began on March 12 against Bowling Green State University in Newport Beach Calif. They took two out of three doubles matches and won singles, 5-2.

“This was a good team effort,” said Head Coach Jon Messick. “We had to play well through the whole lineup because Bowling Green was a lot tougher than we expected.”

Junior Sanja Hansson led the way in the No. 1 position, beating Bowling Green’s Lisa Maloney, 6-2, 6-4. Other wins came from senior Catherine Sullivan in the third position, senior Bobbe Vasos in the fourth and freshman Alexandra Paganetti in the sixth position.

On March 15 the Rams traveled to Cal-State Fullerton and once again put on a dominating performance. They were able to take two out of three in doubles and won the singles matches, 6-1.

Hansson again started the Rams out on the right track by defeating Cal-State Fullerton’s Carla Rocha, 6-1, 6-0. Senior Amanda Bartz followed up by beating Michelle Arndt 6-1, 6-4. The Rams also got wins from Vasos, Paganetti, and freshman Dasha Zhurin.

The two wins have added to the growing success of Vasos and Hansson. Vasos leads the team in singles at 15-5, and Hansson has now won seven of her last 10 matches in the No. 1 position.

The Cal-State Fullerton win was especially encouraging because the Titans boast a very strong team.

“This win will help our confidence going into the conference schedule in two week,” Messick said.

The Rams begin their conference schedule on March 29 against UNLV and face San Diego State on March 30. n