With the desire to put a three-week break behind them, the women of CSU’s softball team headed to Orlando, Fla., to participate in the Spring Rebel Games.

According to junior outfielder Katie Koch the break helped the team “work out the kinks” in its batting and focus on “hitting the ball hard.”

Judging by the team’s record of nine wins and four losses – with one game yet to play in the 14-game tournament – the Rams did just that.

The team started off the tournament March 10 on fire shutting out both Tennessee-Martin and Butler 5-0 and 12-0 respectively.

Against Tennessee-Martin, sophomore pitcher Megan Masser threw her first complete game shutout of the season allowing only three hits while striking out seven in the five-inning effort.

In the second game against Butler, it was the Rams’ offense as well as another stellar pitching performance, this time from freshman Maren Christensen, that vaulted the team to victory. The Rams jumped on the Bulldogs in the top of the fifth inning when they scored seven runs on five hits and two Bulldog errors.

Freshman Steph Roberts supplied much of the offense with a two-run double in the fifth and a two-run triple in the seventh.

The Rams continued to perform to their expectations as they won two more games March 11, beating Pennsylvania 4-0 and Bowling Green 11-7 in nine innings.

Megan Masser continued the team’s trend of stellar pitching performances, posting a complete game shutout while allowing four hits and striking out six.

Seniors Kai Stone and Amanda Kocis led the offense as they combined for six hits in six at-bats.

In the second game against Bowling Green the Rams jumped out early as sophomore Ricki Walker belted a two-run home run in the top of the first. Bowling Green managed to tie the score at five by the end of the seventh to force extra innings, but the extra period belonged to the Rams.

After freshman Brittany Burtner drove in a run with a double, five additional runs scored as the Rams put together a series of singles.

Megan Masser, who replaced starter Melanie Mahoney in the sixth, retired the side in the bottom of the ninth for the win.

The Rams extended their winning streak to six on March 12 by beating Youngstown State, 8-2, and Bucknell, 13-0.

That string of victories came to a halt March 15 as the team lost a double-header to host Stetson University. Stetson extended its own winning streak to 19 games by beating the Rams 2-0 in the opener and 8-0 in the nightcap.

The story of game one was missed opportunities as the Rams failed to capitalize with runners on base.

“We just didn’t get any hits when it mattered today,” head coach Mary Yori said.

In the final game of the tournament the Rams topped Colgate 5-0 as the team combined for 15 hits and five earned runs against Colgate pitcher Elana Isaac. With the victory, the Rams upped its record to 12-13. n