It’s Associated Students of CSU election time.

That means it’s that time of year when we look to the plaza for the latest and greatest trick used to gain your attention and, as the candidates hope, your vote.

But we here at the Collegian have high hopes this year. We’re hopeful that not only will the candidates depend on clear and intelligent debate and conversation on the relevant issues, but that students will be interested in what’s going on.

We’re also hopeful that this year’s candidates will be running more on the issues than they will be on what kind of snack they’re handing out to students.

This is an important time of year, a time when your vote can make a difference when it comes to how your student fee money is spent or misspent. We hope that everyone will take advantage of the opportunity to make a difference on this campus.

We encourage everyone to pay attention to the issues raised by the candidates. We’ll be doing our best to ensure that they are thoroughly covered in these pages. If you want to contribute to the conversation, write us a letter or engage a candidate on the plaza. It’s only through intelligent discourse that we’ll be able to make a difference.

Candidates, play fair and nice. Don’t expect snacks and favors to get you elected. This student body is much smarter than that.

Students, make this election your own. Talk to the candidates. Attend the candidates’ debate. It’ll be on Monday, March 25 at 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theater. That’ll be a great chance to check out how the different tickets will approach issues differently.

Okay, everyone, let’s get ready to rumble – it’s election time.