Authors: keith CHRISTIANSEN

I understand lethargy. I wait to do assignments until the amount of time I have determined it will take, minus twenty minutes, before it is due. I was going to write this column on Monday but, well, that’s the night we filled the kegerator. These sorts of decisions are exemplary of what it means to be one of the thousands of CSU’s apathetic.

On a campus, with more organizations to get involved with than there are cell phones, we – the apathetic – belong to none.

Being apathetic means understanding that, on a cosmic scale, our actions mean nothing and happiness is the only good. It means seeing that happiness is inversely proportionate to intelligence, so why get excited about knowledge/pain?

Understanding apathy means missing class because your bed was too darn comfortable, or it’s a Tuesday and attendance isn’t taken.

It means being a person who has never stopped at a booth on the plaza and is incapable of understanding what motivates these people to sit out there.

It is hard for us to care to speak up in class when we recognize that volume doesn’t relate to correctness; in fact, it’s usually vice-versa. But it’s more than contempt for self-proclaimed intellectuals that keeps us quite; it is a lack of preparedness for the lecture. We survive because we are artists. Our medium: BS.

We are the lubrication of the university; we slide through while ensuring things run smoothly.

We confound capitalists because our passions are unprofitable and original. Our carelessness is so reprehensible to those who still think they can change the world that it has caused some to place a terrorist like John Walker above us on the social ladder.

I have stood here, a stoic, for five years now. And yet I think celebrations of lethargy may have come too far.

Example: when I was a sophomore at CSU, some pompous, overachieving senate decided that it wasn’t fair that people like you and I received the same amount of credit for an A- as they did for their A+’s; thus the plus-minus system was born and my GPA has suffered severely as a result. The skill of doing the absolute minimum to get by is now more than underappreciated, it’s punished. This is just one example of go-getters screwing the unconcerned.

If a few more of my apathetic brethren in Florida would have voted a year and a half ago we wouldn’t have a president who brings oil to bed for reasons other than romance. The apathetic would never have elected a conservative; they’re too uptight.

Apathy is only acceptable for some things, like the indistinguishable degree CSU awards everyone that only varies in the hoops that are jumped through and in which order. When it comes to matters like changing humanity’s arrogant relationship with nature or governmental policy, activism is essential.

The Congressional elections coming up this November are pivotal. The shape of the Supreme Court could hinge on these elections, not to mention national policy for the next few years.

Voter apathy among the youth has allowed the elderly to decide who represents us for too long. A minimal amount of work in researching the candidates and actually going to the polls can greatly improve the quality of our lives and the pride we have in where we live.

This extends all the way down to decisions about whose resume gets padded by being president of ASCSU. This year I have decided to do something quite uncommon at CSU: vote in the ASCSU elections. Hey candidates, two words: mandatory siestas.

Keith is a senior studying English