The members of the CSU women’s basketball team must have skipped kindergarten because it’s obvious they never learned the important idea of sharing.

“We don’t want to share the Mountain West Conference title with anyone,” said junior guard Katie Borton.

With one game left against the University of New Mexico at home on Saturday, CSU has already claimed at least a share of the conference title. The Rams must beat the Lobos to gain sole possession of the championship, which likely won’t be an easy task.

“The pressure is clearly on New Mexico, and they’re going to come in here and play a good game,” head coach Tom Collen said.

There is more at stake than just the championship for CSU (22-5 overall, 11-2 MWC), as seeding in the conference tournament will largely be determined by the outcome of the game. The Rams would be the No.1 seed with a win, but a loss could send them back to the No.3 seed, behind UNM (21-4, 9-3) and UNLV (20-6, 9-3), due to tiebreakers.

“We know we have to go out and beat New Mexico, or else we are going to tie,” said sophomore forward Joy Jenkins. “And I don’t think we want to tie.”

The first meeting with UNM in Albuquerque resulted in the Rams’ first conference loss of the year by the score of 56-50. Freshman forward Lindsay Arnt scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead the Lobos. Junior forward Chelsea Grear contributed 11 points and 10 rebounds, as UNM outrebounded the Rams, 43-20.

Junior forward Shannon Strecker scored 15 points to lead the Rams, but committed a flagrant foul near the end of the game that allowed UNM to secure the victory. CSU also committed 25 turnovers in the game.

Collen hopes the tournament ramifications will be motivation for his team to go out and play a much better game the second time around with the Lobos.

“Come Saturday, we have to makeup our mind we don’t want to share (the title) with anyone else,” Collen said.

Saturday will also likely be the last home game for senior guard Angie Gorton, and maybe she can share the joy of victory with the Moby crowd one last time – just as long as she and her teammates don’t have to share the championship. n