Authors: Chris Watson

San Francisco did not show the CSU women’s golf team the same hospitality San Diego did.

The Rams struggled at the Bay Area Classic, where they finished 14 out of a field of 16, after winning the Lady Aztec Invitational last weekend.

Senior Bridget Johnson and sophomore Stephanie Linnel both had strong tournament showings, finishing 25 and 29, respectively, in the individual results. Johnson closed the tournament with a fantastic score of 75 (three over par) in the second round.

Junior Mayumi Motoyama, who has been playing excellently ever since coming to CSU, did not have her strongest tournament, shooting 17 over par and finishing tied for 46.

Head coach Megan Menzel, who recently gave birth to her first child, was not available for comment on her team’s tournament showing.

The Bay Area Classic was a good opportunity for the women to see other Colorado teams, including the University of Denver, which finished third and the University of Colorado, which finished eighth.

The women will have a full month to practice before they head out to Tucson, Ariz. for the Mountainview Collegiate tournament. With the time to practice, the team will be able to work on mistakes made in San Francisco and sharpen the short game to hopefully find better results. n