Authors: Erika Montalvo

Spring is almost here, and with warm sunny days dawning upon long awaited weekends to come, an occasional day trip with friends is in order. Why not try a road trip to some spectacular sites around the state?

As you and your friends pile into the car, angry twitches of hunger vibrate throughout your body. Food is the first necessary task at hand, and if you can wait about thirty minutes, a savory meal awaits the patient soul at Oscar Blues Grill and Brew in Lyons.

The restaurant, which is named after the owner’s two beloved childhood dogs, is famous for the entertainment it brings into Colorado. The food is Southern style with a pinch of Cajun to add some spice. The shrimp bisque and the fish and chips are to die for, but it is rumored that the jambalaya is the best thing on the menu. The best parts, however, are the beer and the lovely back porch, which is perfect for lounging and enjoying a drink with friends. The One Nut Brown and Dale’s Pale Ale go down nice and smooth and among other delightful choices of brew are Reverend Sandi’s Sinful Stout and Lights Out Cherry Stout.

With stomachs full, it is time to head into Longmont to sneak a peek at the Salvador Dali exhibit featured until March 2 at the Longmont Museum.

Dali is considered one of the most fascinating artists of the twentieth century. The Spanish surrealist painter is particularly famous for the “Persistence of Memory,” depicting melting watches.

Photographs and prints of the artist and his work are a must-see, especially when it is so close to home. The exhibit is free, and for more information, you can call 303-651-8374.

The afternoon is getting late, but there is time left for one more activity.

Try the Imax Theater located by the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Although other films are featured, Shackleton’s Antarctic Adventure is the pick for this week. The film showsexplorer Ernest Shackleton’s journey through the Antarctic seas with a 27-man crew in the December 1914.

The captain and his crew, whom all had responded to an ad in the paper stating, “Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success,” fought for their survival for two years adrift at sea.

Admission is $8 and shows are featured throughout the day, with the last show at 7 p.m. The other films include Everest, which is back by popular demand, and Kilimanjaro. n