Authors: Matthew Hamm

Saturday night marks the second annual Riverboat the Rockies Casino Night.

Head out to Odell Brewing Company (800 E. Lincoln Ave.) from 7 to 11 p.m. for the event sponsored by Trees, Water & People, a local conservation organization. Proceeds from the evening will go towards volunteer programs for tree planting and wetland enhancement.

This evening will include music by the Atoll as well as Bluegrass Patriots, a riverboat casino with a wide variety of card games, and a silent auction that includes prizes such as weekend getaways.

Those dressed in Old West costumes can win prizes in the costume contest. Also, free Odell beer and food donated by local restaurants will be available.

Riverboat the Rockies Casino Night will showcase a deck of playing cards entitled “A Tribute to Nature.” This deck of cards will feature work by CSU art students and different Fort Collins residents in mediums ranging from watercolor, collage, graphic art or photography. The decks will sell for $15 each, or two for $25.

Tempra Board, of Trees, Water & People, is looking forward to the presentation of the art deck of cards for a variety of reasons.

“This project works perfectly with the casino theme we have for the night. The playing face of each card is a work of art devoted to a nature scene. The name of the artist is also printed on the card they designed,” Board said. “The neat thing is that these cards will help get artists’ names out there and support our organization at the same time,”

Last year, over 350 people attended this event, which raised nearly $11,000 for local Trees, Water & People projects in the area. With many cash donations towards this event and funding from sponsors, including some more expensive silent auction items, the organization hopes this year’s Riverboat the Rockies Casino Night raises even more money and support.

Trees, Water & People is a national organization that teams up with city and county agencies as well as local area schools and volunteers to do many projects to improve the local environment. The program focuses on large-scale projects such as reforestation in Latin America, but locally they do work with improving watershed in areas of Colorado and Wyoming.

For those wanting to get involved on a volunteer basis, people will be needed to serve as casino dealers, food and beer servers, cashiers and more. n