Club Hockey

No one on the CSU hockey team thought it would end like this.

With the team’s 6-0 win over the University of Wyoming on Saturday, the Rams completed an undefeated spring semester and finished the regular season with nine straight wins. The victory pushes the team’s record to 21-10-1, and gives it momentum going into the ACHA Division II National Tournament.

The Rams leave for New York City today, and will play their first game on Wednesday against the University of Indiana.

“The team started off pretty poorly at the start of the season,” said defenseman Ryan Lewis. “This semester we’ve been winning because we’ve jelled and worked harder. Our goal is to win nationals – nothing less.”

In the final game against Wyoming, senior goalie Aaron Gaddis stopped 38 shots to complete the shutout.

Junior forward Josh Bowers and senior forward Matt Merritt each scored two goals in the win.

“We have the winning attitude now,” Merritt said. “We doubted ourselves at first, but now we’re on the up and up. Even though we’re not the favorite in the tournament, I think we have a good chance of winning.”

Club Lacrosse

The CSU club lacrosse team dominated its opponent for the third straight game on Saturday. This time the victim was Utah Valley State College, which suffered a 20-3 defeat at the hands of the Rams.

The team has now won its last two games by a combined score of 45-6 and has moved into the No. 1 ranking in the nation.

The Rams will play the University of Northern Colorado at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow on the CSU intramural fields. n