Authors: Chris Watson

The CSU women’s golf team is sensing another great season under head coach Megan Menzel after winning the Lady Aztec Invitational hosted by San Diego State University last weekend.

Leading the tournament after the first round with a combined score of 308, the Lady Rams looked to junior Mayumi Motoyama to guide them to a victory. Motoyama shot a 76, a typically brillant performance, in the second round to fuel the women’s team to a tournament victory with a final score of 626 – 42 strokes over par.

With this successful outing, the Ram’s find more than just a victory; they now realize the potential they possess after beating nationally ranked teams such as No. 14 Michigan, No. 20 Washington and No. 22 Kent State in head-to-head competition.

Motoyama finished second individually in the event after shooting 75 and 76. Senior Bridget Jones also played well, finishing at No. 13 individually and shooting 158 overall.

The team is currently competing in the Bay Area Classic in San Francisco.

Men’s Golf

The CSU men’s team failed to place among the top teams at the John A. Burns Intercollegiate Tournament in Honolulu last weekend, but still had a good outing, according to head coach Jamie Bermel.

“We played strong in the first and second round of the tournament,” said Bermel, whose team finished tied for ninth, “but the third round really hurt us, dropping us three positions in regards to the results of the tournament and how the team played.”

Knowing the men have a lot of travel ahead of them, Bermel discussed the short game’s difficulty.

“Going to other courses is hard,” Bermel said, “especially on the short game and putting; but as the season develops, the guys will improve.”

Bermel mentioned the importance of lone senior Dallas Massey as a team leader.

“It would be great if he played well in hopes of motivating the rest of the team to follow,” Bermel said.

The team is preparing for the Pacific Coast Invitational March 4-5 in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Glancing at the Mountain West Conference Championships April 29 to May 1, Bermel is confident the team can still win a title in spite of a very difficult course in Oregon. n