CSU point guard Jasai Ferrucho stole a win away from Wyoming Saturday night.

Literally.

With less than a minute left in overtime and the Rams trailing by a point, Ferrucho made a break on an errant Wyoming pass and drove the length of the floor for a lay-up to put CSU ahead for good, 63-62.

Following a free throw by junior Ashley Augspurger with 9.1 seconds remaining in the extra period, Wyoming drove the length of the floor but was unable to get off a shot as senior Angie Gorton tied up the ball at the buzzer, clinching the Rams’ thrilling 64-62 win.

“Even when we were down in overtime, we felt like we were right there,” Gorton said. “Wyoming always comes out hungry against us, but we wanted this one, too.”

The win – the Rams’ 12th straight over the Cowgirls dating back to 1995 – helps No. 16 CSU (21-5 overall, 10-2 Mountain West Conference) to remain in first place in the league, while Wyoming drops to 12-13 and 4-8.

The game marked CSU’s seventh consecutive overtime victory and second straight this year. Its last overtime loss, fittingly, came in a 67-70 loss to the Cowgirls, March 4, 1995 at Moby Arena.

Gorton scored a game-high 18 points, including the first eight CSU points of the night, while adding eight boards and logging a game-high 44 minutes.

Also contributing for the Rams were junior center Shannon Strecker with 12 points, and Augspurger with 10 points.

There were several big plays for CSU, which overcame a six-point overtime deficit, but none bigger than Ferrucho’s steal.

“Play of the game, without question,” head coach Tom Collen said. “Jasai was in the game to break the press and pressure the ball; she ended up creating a steal and a shot.”

The Rams chose a good time to break their three-game streak of shooting under 40 percent from the field (41.5). The Cowgirls, who trailed by six at halftime, came back strong in the second half.

Cherrith Weirsma led Wyoming with 13 points, while Carrie Bacon added a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

CSU now heads home to close out the regular season with contests remaining against Air Force on Wednesday and New Mexico on Saturday. n