Hockey takes on CU Buffs

It has been a flawless spring semester for the CSU hockey team. After two losses to the University of Arizona during winter break, the Rams have since gone undefeated and secured a berth in the ACHA Division II Tournament.

“We didn’t play well in the first half,” defenseman Ryan Antonson said. “Getting (transfer) Josh Bowers has really helped; it’s made our second line almost as good as the first. And even though we lost those games to Arizona during winter break, I think that they gave us confidence.”

The team has only three games remaining in the regular season; however, the Rams will play two of those games this weekend against rival University of Colorado. The two teams will face off at the CU Ice Arena in Boulder on Friday and at the Providence Ice Arena in Windsor at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

“This could be a preview of the semifinals in the national tournament,” sophomore forward Mike Baker said. “We need to set the point that we’re not the same team we were at the start of the season. We need to show them we’re not a pushover.”

The Buffs defeated CSU in two previous games this season and are the top-ranked team in the Western Division. CSU is currently ranked third in the division.

“When we first played them, we didn’t have our lines set,” Antonson said. “We are a lot better now, and we want to go into Nationals on a high and be peaking during the tournament.”

The Rams close out the regular season with a game at the University of Wyoming on Feb. 23 before the national tournament in New York in March.

“We definitely need to win these last games to keep the momentum going,” Baker said. n