Returning to Fort Collins for the third time in less than six months, OM Trio will be providing an eclectic mix of jazz and funk to fans at the Starlight Theater Friday night.

Now living in San Francisco – the home to some of the greatest “jam-bands” on the circuit today – OM Trio has a unique style that blends together classic jazz riffs and modern, ethereal “techno” beats into a virtual cacophony of sound that grabs listeners and shakes them around. The intensity of OM Trio’s music is such that the members of the audience seem to lose control of their bodies while their minds expand into infinite universes of musical adventure.

OM Trio is a three-man band originally hailing from New Jersey. Brian Felix (keyboards), Pete Novembre (bass) and Ilya Stemkovsky (drums) make up this band that often sounds like it has five or six members, instead of the mere three. OM Trio has developed a decent following that has fans traveling all over Colorado when they visit the Rockies.

OM Trio has opened for and played with such national acts as Tower of Power, Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe, Deep Banana Blackout, Ex-King Crimson and Peter Gabriel’s bassist Tony Levin, and with members of Wynton Marsalis’ Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, to name a few.

OM Trio’s first appearance in Fort Collins was last fall at Avo’s. It was a free show and gave them great exposure here in town. Friday night will mark OM Trio’s second show at the Starlight Theater. The last time they played there, the place was packed, but not too packed to get your funk on.

The trio is out supporting their recently released double-disc live album appropriately titled “Live.” The album is a tribute to their time on the road from 2000 to 2001 and includes 21 tracks. You can get a preview of what’s in store for Friday night by checking out OM Trio’s web site at www.omtrio.com.

The show starts at 9 p.m. Call (970) 484-4974 for more information.