The CSU swimmers made a big splash in Laramie on Friday night, beating the University of Wyoming Cowgirls, 156-106. The Rams breezed past the Cowgirls by winning 11 of the 14 events.

Junior Becky Crissinger led CSU with wins in two events. She placed first in both the 100-meter and the 1000-meter freestyle.

Sophomore Kristen Schneider won the 100-meter backstroke with a swift time of 58.88 seconds.

The ease of the Rams’ victory over Wyoming was unexpected, according to CSU head coach John Mattos. Wyoming beat both Brigham Young and Utah, while the Rams lost to the BYU Cougars and barely beat Utah.

“Wyoming is a tough team, and we were fortunate to get solid performances from a number of different swimmers,” Mattos said. “This was a nice final tune-up for the Mountain West Conference championships.”

The divers were not so lucky this week. Participating in the Air Force Academy Invitational, the top finisher for the Rams was sophomore Lori Anderson, who could garner a fourth place on the 1-meter board and sixth on the 3-meter platform and board.

It was an unfortunate turn-around for Anderson, who led the team with several first place finishes a couple weeks ago in a victory over Utah.

“The competition was a lot harder this week,” Anderson said. “It was more like a conference meet, with more teams and better divers.”

The swimmers and divers will now take a few weeks off before going on to the Mountain West Conference championships in Oklahoma City.

“I’m looking forward to our conference meet,” Anderson said. “Hopefully we’ll do better and come out on top.” n