Tennis

The CSU women’s tennis team dropped its first two matches of the season over the weekend, falling to the undefeated Tulsa Golden Hurricane 0-7 on Saturday and losing 2-5 to Southwest Missouri State on Friday.

The only two wins for the Rams (0-2) came courtesy of seniors Catherine Sullivan and Bobbe Vasos, who CSU head coach Jon Messick said played well to lead the team.

“We had our chances to capture the match in singles,” Messick said. “Our seniors came through with their experience. Our freshmen struggled, but we expect them to gradually improve.”

The Rams will look for their first team win of the season when they face Oklahoma State in Tulsa this Sunday.

Track & Field

The CSU track and field team continues to become some of the best in the west, proving so over the weekend by winning the Mountain West /_” Pac-10 Challenge on Saturday.

The women led the event, scoring 168 points to beat out Arizona (126), Stanford (124) and Air Force (81), while the men’s score of 143 points put them ahead of Air Force (135), Arizona (128) and Stanford (103).

Senior sprinter Amber Johnson took the 200-meter spring, while junior runner Mary Ridder won the 800-meter race. Sophomore distance runner Katie Yemm provisionally qualified for the NCAA Championship with 4:56.27 mile.

Freshman jumper Amanda Huddleston won the triple-jump, while sophomore thrower Loree Smith’s weight throw of 59’9″ also qualifies her for the NCAAs. Smith and junior Hannah Meltzer also qualified in the shot put.

Sophomore pole vaulter Josh Horak continues to rewrite the CSU record books; for the second time in only three weeks, Horak broke the school record after clearing 17’3″, good enough for a second-place finish.

Junior thrower Drew Loftin also set a new school record by improving his NCAA provisional mark with a weight throw of 68-9.25. Senior thrower Brian Trainor also provisionally qualified for the NCAA Championship with a throw of 58-11.5.

Sophomore sprinter John Woods placed first in the 60-meter dash and second in the 200 meters, while junior runner Brian Kelly took the 800-meter event.

The Rams’ distance medley relay team of freshman Ryan Lowen, sophomore Bill Michel and juniors Gabe Olchin and Jason Burris also qualified for the NCAA Championships.

The Rams host their only home event of the season this Friday and Saturday when they play host to the Colorado State Open. Several athletes will also travel to either the Cannon Classic in Indianapolis or the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa. n