Do or die for

It all comes down to this.

For the CSU hockey team, the long season has boiled down to two must-win games this weekend. The Rams will take on the University of Utah (17-8-1) tonight at 7 and will play a winner-take-all game against Weber State (15-13-2) at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. The winner of Saturday’s game will earn the fourth and final berth into the ACHA National Tournament in New York. Both games will be played at the Providence Ice Arena.

“It’s big, the biggest game of the year,” defenseman Ryan Antonson said. “All the guys have been gearing up for it, and we’re ready.”

The Rams have tied and lost twice to the Utes this season and they split the series with Weber State at 1-1-1. CSU and Weber State currently share the No. 4 ranking in the Western Conference, so both teams will put it all out on the ice this weekend.

“Win or lose: it’s as simple as that,” team captain Chris Lockrem said. “We’ve got to step up and concentrate on team defense and not turning the puck over. There’s a lot of older guys on the team and this is the last chance for some of them.”

The Rams take a three-game winning streak and a 13-10-1 record into the weekend. Win or lose, there will be some great hockey to be seen this weekend at the Providence Ice Arena. n