Fun shows ahead

One of the good things about the music scene in Fort Collins is that it never seems to really stop. Even on those slow weeks, one can always find a little live music to distract oneself from the everyday grind. This upcoming week is no exception. So, pick a night to take a break from that physics or sociology assignment, and go out and shake your bones to one of these great musical acts:

Friday night, Moving Matter returns to the Starlight Theater. Moving Matter, one of Fort Collins’ fastest growing bands in classic “jam-band” style, is a quartet whose members move effortlessly from one song into another, keeping the audience attentive and entertained. Moving Matter seems to do just that: move matter around and about with their musical nuances. A relatively young band, Moving Matter has built an impressive following around town and along the Front Range. The show will get started at about 9 p.m.

Another Colorado local, The Tony Furtado Band, will be gracing Fort Collins on Saturday night at the Starlight Theater. With elements from traditional American and Irish folk music, funk, blues, jazz and beyond, their music is rich in culture and deep in groove. Expect a big crowd for this show, as the band will be doing live recording, hopefully for an upcoming CD release. Get to the show early and you might find yourself right in the middle of the action; things are starting around 9 p.m.

The North Mississippi Allstars will be playing at the Starlight Theater on Sunday night. Hailing from Mississippi, the Allstars tell the classic tale of starting out as a small band and exploding into a force to be reckoned with. Having toured with bands from Widespread Panic to Medeski Martin and Wood, the Allstars have developed quite the fan-base.

The fun will be getting started at about 9 p.m. and will rock ’til last call. n