With sole possession of first place in the Mountain West Conference secured, the CSU women’s basketball team seeks to continue its success against Wyoming.

The Cowgirls come to Moby Arena Friday in hopes of ending the Rams’ four-game winning streak in the conference. CSU (15-3 overall, 4-0 MWC) knows that it is a marked team as everyone else in the conference is stuck playing catch up.

“We’ve definitely won some big games, but we have to go out and try to win them all,” junior guard Jackie Campbell said.

A little over a week ago, Wyoming was reeling after losing its first two conference games. Losses on the road to Utah and BYU left the team with a 7-7 record and questions about the rest of the season.

Last week, the team rebounded off those losses in a big way. On Thursday, the Cowgirls exploded on UNLV at home, winning 75-58. When San Diego State came to town that Saturday, the Aztecs were no match for the growing momentum Wyoming was riding. The final score was 86-51.

Now Wyoming brings that momentum against CSU.

“I definitely think we can’t look past them this year,” Campbell said. “They have a better team than they have had in the past.”

Wyoming is just one conference win and two wins overall from matching last year’s record. Like CSU, Wyoming relies on balanced scoring with four players averaging double figures. Junior forward Carrie Bacon leads the team with 13.8 points a game. Other contributors include forward Darci Arsene (13.4), center Ann McColl (11.8) and guard Carly Strucky (10.2).

CSU is beginning to regain its chemistry after injuries to junior guard Elizabeth English and junior forward Shannon Strecker, according to Campbell. The team is thriving under the leadership of senior guard Angie Gorton and a resurgent Ashley Augspurger.

Gorton received MWC player of the week honors, and is leading the conference in field goal percentage at .639.

CSU continues to maintain its position in the top 25, moving up to No.19 this week. A win against Wyoming would ensure the Rams at least a one-game lead in the conference over New Mexico. n