The world isn’t fair. Kids are taught this at an early age. They learn it when they beg for candy at the grocery store and are told “no,” or are denied permission to spend the night at their friend’s house. The kids scream at the top of their lungs “That’s not fair!” and the parents nonchalant response is, “The world isn’t fair.”

Youngsters may grumble about it, but unfortunately, it’s true. One needs to look no further than the sports world for reassurance that the world is, indeed, not fair.

It’s not fair that CSU’s bowl opponent, the North Texas Mean Green, had a 5-6 record and still got to go to a bowl. I guess it worked out well for the Rams, who pretty much just destroyed them, but it kind of makes a mockery of “the pageantry of college football” argument that people pull out when they are against a playoff system in the college game.

It’s not fair that the NBA referees let Shaquille O’Neal get away with aggravated assault underneath the basket. The guy is 7-foot-3, 335 lbs. of pure muscle. He should be able to dominate every player in the league without throwing elbows in the face of a bunch of beanpoles and then whining to the officials that they are flopping for calls. The stitches in Dikembe’s lip are probably a decent indication that there was at least a little contact there.

And while we’re on the subject of the fairness of NBA referees, which is an oxymoron to begin with, did you see how Michael Jordan reacted when they whistled him for traveling? You’d think he had never heard of the rule, which I suppose could be true. I doubt Jordan or any of the NBA’s current stars like Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Tracey McGrady and Vince Carter are even aware that such a rule exists. I hate to agree with a rich, Dairy Queen-managing moron like Mark Cuban, but he has a point in this case.

It’s not fair that Nebraska ended up in the Rose Bowl, although it was nice to see them get punished for being in the wrong game. It appears that Oregon, after they dismantled the University of Colorado the way they did, should have been in the game all along. Although, I don’t think it would have made much of a difference. Miami was the clearly the best team in college football this year, and they probably would have dealt with the Broncos if they got to play them.

And there is too much that isn’t fair about the Broncos that I don’t even want to get into it.

It’s not fair that Coors Field is where good pitchers go to die.

It’s not fair that the Yankees go to World Series after World Series and always mange to land one of the top players in the free agent market the next season. How the hell do they stay under the salary cap? I think Steinbrenner might have a deal in place with the devil. It’s the only explanation I can come up with.

It’s not fair that Anna Kournakova was in Denver playing tennis recently and I didn’t have tickets.

It’s not fair that the Raiders are in the playoffs. Why? Uh-because they cheat, that’s why.

It’s not fair that Tiger Woods can play in the Skins Game, which is billed as an all or nothing event, and get compensated for his appearance – even though he lost.

Your mom was right. The world isn’t fair.