Men rebounding from Wyo.

The CSU men’s basketball team is hoping to regain its shooting touch in time for more Mountain West Conference action in a pair of road games this weekend.

Unfortunately, the men didn’t start the conference season the way they wanted to, getting routed by Wyoming last Saturday night in Laramie. They shot a season worst 37.3 percent. Although the Rams entered the contest No. 9 nationally in field goal percentage, they made only six of 22 shots in the first half against the Cowboys’ stout defense.

The Rams (8-6 overall, 0-1 MWC) hope to get their shooting back on track against San Diego State this Saturday. Sophomore swingman Ronnie Clark, who will be playing in only his fifth game since regaining academic eligibility, was one of the bright spots against Wyoming, hitting 6 of 7 field goal attempts against Wyoming.

“I don’t think they really shut us down as much as the fact that we weren’t ready to play,” Clark said about their low shooting percentage against Wyoming. “They are a solid team, but I think we’ll be better now that we have one under our belt.”

Junior forward Brian Greene, the Rams’ leading scorer so far this season, agrees.

“We started forcing some bad shots when we got down and I think that had a lot to do with our field goal percentage,” Greene said. “We have our first conference game out of the way now and got those jitters out, so I think we’ll be ready to go.”

Greene said he thinks that Wyoming’s large crowd might have figured into the Rams’ poor shooting

“We have a young team, so we might have been a little rattled by the crowd (in Wyoming), but every team in the conference is going to get some good crowds, so we have to be prepared for that,” Greene said.

INJURY REPORT

Seven-foot freshman center Matt Nelson, who scored a career best 32 points against the University of Denver earlier this season, remains sidelined with a dislocated toe. Nelson has missed four games so far and is expected to be out at least two more weeks.

Freshman forward Matt Williams, the team’s second leading rebounder, is also questionable for this weekend’s games with a sprained ankle. Williams missed the Wyoming game. n