Authors: Brian Lancaster

Hey everybody, welcome back to the spring semester here at Colorado State University! I hope that your classes and activities are everything you thought they would be and more.

But more importantly, I’d like to extend to you a welcome that you may not have known you would be getting.

I’d like to welcome you all to the Age of the Nerd.

That’s right: Nerds rule. This is the dawning of a new era, and the geeks are the cream of the crop.

Big companies, movie studios and entertainment executives are no longer catering their tastes toward romantic comedies or epic war films. Instead, the comic book and the science fiction movie, are attracting the big-name stars and talent.

In the year 2008, the movie industry made $3.7 billion from ticket sales, and $2.5 billion of those ticket sales came from science fiction, comic book-based or other geeky movies, according to CastaBlasta, a very well-researched and entertaining podcast produced by the fine gentlemen of Jupiter Broadcasting. Nerds, look it up. You’ll enjoy it.

Three of the top four grossing movies of 2008 were movies about superheroes — “The Dark Night,” “Iron Man,” and “Hancock” — and the fifth top grossing movie of 2008 was “Wall-E,” a movie about a robot, which lands it squarely in the sci-fi category.

Computers and video game consoles are more accessible than ever, and they’re only getting better.

The new Games for Windows experience is a huge initiative sponsored by Microsoft to make PC gaming more accessible and also more fun than ever by promoting the quality, compatibility, safety features and playing ease of PC games. And the participation of software developers shows that big-name companies are willing to cater to the needs of gaming nerds more and more, along with their devotion to the word processing and spreadsheet power.

One of the most popular sports in South Korea is Starcraft, a computer game that was first released over 10 years ago, and the Wrath of the Lich King, the second expansion to World of Warcraft, sold 2.8 million copies in the first 24 hours of its release, making it the fastest selling PC game ever (beating the record of 2.4 million copies set by the Burning Crusade, the first expansion pack of World of Warcraft).

Records for console and PC game sales are being broken more and more often, meaning more games are being produced and purchased.

Entertainment executives are catering to the needs of the geek world.

This is the greatest news imaginable. The geeks are rising to power, and we are going to take it and wield it like the hammer of justice (+56 strength, +112 stamina!) that it is. Our vengeance shall be swift and fierce.

Or maybe we’ll be merciful. Who knows. This is going to be an interesting age, where the geeks take control of how money is used, what movies are created, and the way that people around the world view the upper class.

So, this may be the perfect opportunity for those of you who aren’t geeks to jump on the bandwagon. Start playing video games, reading comic books and leveling up your warrior on the World of Warcraft. Or at least start sucking up to geeks that you know.

It seems as though sooner, rather than later, the geek shall inherit.

Brian Lancaster is a senior English major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.